THE TEACHER'S ARMS: conversation club

Is it worth making New Year's resolutions? [DISCUSSION]

Is it worth making New Year's resolutions? [DISCUSSION]

by Michał Bocian -
Number of replies: 1

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to the Teacher's Arms first topic

As we have entered the New Year, it's a tradition for many to set resolutions – goals and promises for the year ahead. But this practice often comes with mixed opinions. Vide the article in the Guardian for instance [link here]. So, I thought it would be intriguing to bring this discussion to our forum: Is it worth making New Year's resolutions?

Points to Consider:

• Effectiveness: Do you think setting resolutions at the beginning of the year is an effective way to achieve goals? Why or why not?
  • Personal Experience: Have you ever set a New Year's resolution? If so, were you able to stick to it, and did it positively impact your life or studies?
  • Alternative Approaches: Some people prefer setting goals throughout the year as opposed to one fixed time. Do you think this is a more practical approach? 
  • Motivation and Willpower: How do New Year's resolutions play into one's motivation and willpower? Does the symbolic start of a new year provide a stronger incentive?
  • Peer Influence: How do friends, family, influence your decision to make or not make resolutions?

This topic isn't just about whether or not we should make resolutions, but also about how we approach goal-setting and self-improvement in our lives as students and individuals.

I'm really looking forward to reading your thoughts and experiences. Feel free to share any strategies you use for goal-setting and staying motivated, whether it's New Year's or any time of the year!

Happy Discussing!

Teechah

In reply to Michał Bocian

Re: Is it worth making New Year's resolutions? [DISCUSSION]

by Mateusz Krzemiński -
When I read this post for the first time, I didn't really see how to refer to the topic, but I didn't notice the link to the article which turned out to be a good thought generator on this topic. Thank you Teechah for it!

Generally, I like resolutions. I believe that the process of analyzing my own life, behavior and identifying points requiring change is a creative process and I like to implement it in my life. I like to become a better person and resolutions help me in this. Usually, I chose the New Year, or a special time (like Lent or Advent) - but I think it's natural - introducing changes is associated with a new beginning, and dates such as the New Year are connected to something new that is coming. For daily work on yourself, I recommend the GTD method - it requires improving the systematicity and regular control of your own tasks, goals and their implementation.

I notice that it is much easier for me to add something positive as a resolution than a negative one. For example, it is easier for me to realize "I will eat salad for breakfast every day" than "I will never eat fast food again." I recommend this style of resolutions, negative ones are often killing us, it's easier to suspend the entire resolution after one failure. Positive resolutions forgive more smile

From the attached article I choose one main idea for myself - I will approach the chosen goals more realistically. Each of us has our own challenges in life, for some it's work, for others it's children, others take up hobbies, others take care of animals - you can't sort it out, it doesn't matter what keeps you busy - but you have to be aware that when you set unrealistic goals, goals for which we don't have time can only lead to self-criticism and depression.

Last but not least - big resolutions often include changes in other people as well - this is probably a big mistake. Everyone can change themselves, but not others. It seems to me that when I decided something, I often expected that the other person would also change smile Resolutions should concern what we can influence, not other people.

I will be happy to discuss your thoughts, ways to make good resolutions, challenges, let's use this forum to exchange thoughts in English smile